Are you dealing with sensitivity and pain in your teeth? These symptoms can be signs of a cavity, which may worsen the longer you wait to see your dentist. At Midtown Dental in Denver, CO, our accomplished dentists have years of experience providing natural-looking fillings to restore the looks and functionality of your teeth.
Call us today at 303-377-2345 to schedule your appointment or to ask about the dental services we offer.
What Are Dental Fillings?
Fillings are one of the several types of treatments you can receive for broken or decayed teeth. After removing any decay, we use various materials to fill in the damaged parts of the tooth and recreate its natural shape. These materials range from composite, amalgam, and metal.
This dental treatment improves your chewing and biting functions, and it’s less invasive than procedures like root canals or tooth extractions. Cavity fillings can last five to 12 years, depending on the type of filling material.
How To Tell if You Need a Filling
Signs that you might need fillings include:
- Jagged or rough-shaped teeth
- Sensitivity when eating or brushing
- Floss getting caught on sharp edges of teeth
- Visible hole in the tooth
A broken or uneven tooth can make it difficult to chew or eat certain types of food, eventually affecting your diet and overall health. With fillings, your dentist can rebuild your damaged tooth, allowing you to eat and drink without issues.
Cavities, which develop because of tooth decay, are often the reason dental patients need fillings. Your mouth contains billions of bacteria that feed on the food particles in your mouth, producing an acid that can cause tooth damage.
You can avoid oral health issues from the buildup of bacteria, food particles, and plaque by brushing and flossing your teeth each day and going to your dentist for regular checkups.
Types of Dental Fillings
The type of dental filling your dentist recommends depends on the extent of the tooth damage, the placement of the tooth, and the location of the cavity.
Dental filling materials include the following:
- Composite – Composite fillings are the same color as teeth, allowing them to blend with your smile naturally. They are most suitable for mild cavities in locations that do not involve heavy chewing.
- Amalgam – One of the most common and least expensive types of fillings besides composite, dental amalgams have a metallic appearance and work well for restoring molars.
- Metal – Gold and silver fillings are another option for dental fillings. Gold fillings can be expensive, but could last you 10 to 15 years.
- Porcelain inlays or onlays – Porcelain fillings are generally for more extensive tooth reconstruction.
Schedule an Appointment at Midtown Dental in Denver, CO
Our qualified team of dental professionals at Midtown Dental can help you keep your teeth and gums in optimal health by providing regular exams and individualized treatments. If you’re struggling with tooth pain or sensitivity, we can assess your teeth and determine the best dental treatment for you.
If you have questions about dental fillings, insurance coverage, or appointments, contact us at 303-377-2345.